Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Halloween Havoc - Super Castlevnia IV

Castlevania Mania continues even through the month of November and December. A couple of weeks ago I finally got around to try out the next installment of the Castlevania series - Super Castlevania IV on the SNES this time. And let me tell you, the word "Super" is used correctly in this game. Unlike the other three games, Super Castlevania IV has better controls, and better game play. No more difficult jumping, attacking, and stiff controls while trying to control Simon Belmont. The big plus about this game is now you can use your whip and hit in eight directions. Freakin’ sweet!

It seems Super Castlevania IV is a remake of the first Castlevania game on NES. Simon Belmont is still the main hero but the entire game feels like a remake. Is that a good thing or a bad thing? It’s a good thing! I mean, after going through hell in Castlevania, and Castlevania 3, it looks as though Komani was probably feeling sorry for the difficulty in those games and made this game a enjoyable one and somewhat easy to play through. I did run into some frustrating moments in the game with some stages and bosses but I managed to get through them quite easily. It only took me 2 days to beat this game and man those were some great 2 days cause this game did not disappoint.
The villains for Super Castlevania IV were all the same ones seen from the previous games but with some news ones. New enemies in the game were a huge giant rock monster, a ghost of a dancing couple, a huge skull sticking his tongue out, a two headed viper, a bat made of nothing but gold and treasures, and a gargoyle. Towards the end when reaching Dracula, you had to fight almost 4 bosses on your walk towards the Count’s room. Seems like they ran out of levels or ideas to put them in so I’m guessing they decided to put them in your way on the final stage. Dracula was really not hard at all. I mean, sure, he was hard the first time I met him cause I didn’t know what the hell I was doing but after a few minutes of looking at his attacks and timing, I finally pinned him down and what does he do once he’s defeated? He transforms into……………NOTHING!!? WTF!? No transformation? Wow! Thanks Konami! I was somewhat disappointed but at the same time I wasn’t. I thought it was an awesome, fair, fight between me and Dracula himself.
What a way to conclude such a great game. So far I’ve played four Castlevania games and so far Super Castlevania IV is at the top of my list. Such great controls, graphics, and game play; Super Castlevania IV is the best and shows you why the Super Nintendo is playing with POWER!! SUPER POWER!!! Four Castlevania games in the book and the next one I was going to get my hands on was on the SONY Playstation – Castlevania: Symphony of the Night but I found someone who sold me the SEGA Genesis version of Castlevania…..


Coming up next: Castlevania: Bloodlines

No comments:

Post a Comment